Monday, August 18, 2008

Lindsay: 1 -- Dumbasses of the World: 0


Oh, snap! I love reading, if only because other people talk about books they haven't read as though nobody's read them, and I love putting in my two cents when I have bothered to do more than just skim the dust jacket. I really love reading.

Anyway, a gentleman came up to me and began to talk politics, apparently thinking that it's a suitable subject for small talk since CNN happens to be on TV. He immediately starts in on Obama's stance on abortion, as highlighted by the Saddleback Church Civil Forum, picture right. He had heard a snippet of the "debate" and wanted to discuss it. I, on the other hand, watched the "debate" and clarified Obama's stance.

This gentleman, a self-proclaimed independent, then switched over to "a book Obama wrote" and said that he once walked into a bookstore and flipped through this book, and on every page he glanced at, "Obama just wants to take money away from us and give it to poor people." When I asked which book he meant, he said, "Just a big, fat book."

"Well," I replied in a reasonable tone, "do you mean Dreams from my Father or Audacity of Hope?" He hesitated, unsure, and finally said he didn't remember. "Because," I continued, "Dreams from my Father really isn't about political issues, and in Audacity of Hope he does a pretty good job of praising bipartisanship, and he doesn't exactly brush against tax policy. He's trying to highlight similarities between conservatives and liberals rather than emphasizing their differences." He was silent for a bit, and I offered, "I was a public policy minor, you know. I would have noticed if he had."

Our political discussion was over.
By the way, I have a feeling he was talking about Obama Nation: Leftist Policy and the Cult of Personality, by Jerome R. Corsi. Unfortunately, however, that book wasn't written by Obama, nor is any part of it true. (You can find a pretty clear expose of the book at http://mediamatters.org/items/200808040005?f=h_top.) However, since I haven't read the book, I won't go any further into detail, because I know when to keep my mouth shut.

Come on, people. You can't flip through a book at Barnes and Noble, claim that you read it, and also claim that it you know what it said. I mean, you can if you want to, but it'll occasionally come back to bite you in the ass. If you aren't going to read, at least check snopes.com so you don't make yourself look like an idiot in front of a receptionist who's better-read than you are.
Oh, and that website again is http://www.snopes.com/. You'll thank me.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails