Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Christmas Poll

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, etc. etc. etc. I hope you all have an excellent holiday season, however cliche and mundane that phrase may have become over this advertising season.

I've decided to write what will probably end up being my one-and-only Christmas post about up reading Christmas books (unless it's the Little Golden Books series, in my case, but most of those are books based on movies--kind of backwards, if you ask me). Listed here are five books that were the inspirations for Christmas movies we all enjoy year in and year out.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Miracle on 34th Street, by Valentine Davies

I haven't read this book for various reasons, most notably because, judging from the cover of the book, the story is as much a piece of propaganda for Macy's as the movie is. I'll stick to getting my advertising from the television and movies, thanks.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens

This is the well-known story of the lesson the greedy Mr. Scrooge learns by his visitations from three Christmas ghosts. Oddly enough, this is the only work by Dickens I've ever read, as I've never been able to slog much past "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times". I'd recommend it insofar as much as you wish to be able to claim to have read it, rather than just seen the million-and-one film adaptations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


How the Grinch Stole Christmas, by Dr. Seuss

This is the well-known story of the lesson the Grinch learns by witnessing the true spirit of Christmas from the Whos in Whoville. I'm not a fan of the live-action film adaptation of the book with Jim Carrey, but the book is most definitely a classic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


In God We Trust, All Others Pay Cash, by Jean Shepherd

This book is a collection of short stories on which my favorite Christmas movie, A Christmas Story (1989), is partly based. Sadly, I have yet to read this book but plan to do so sometime in the near future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Polar Express, by Chris Van Allsberg

About this time, I'm beginning to wonder about the wisdom of writing a post on Christmas books turned into Christmas movies when I have neither read this book nor seen this movie. Has anyone? I've soured on the Tom Hanks band wagon recently and didn't bother to see the film.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it turns out that, out of the five books above, I've only read two of them, and one of them only because my high school English teacher knew we wouldn't ever read A Christmas Carol unless he forced us to our junior year.

Looks like it's time to take a quick poll to test my hypothesis: How many of you have read more than two of the above-mentioned Christmas classics?

And how many of you have seen more than two of the above-mentioned Christmas classic films? I've seen four of them, but I've also seen at least three other adaptations of A Christmas Carol, including A Muppet's Christmas Carol, A Diva's Christmas Carol, and Scrooged.

2 comments:

Daniele said...

I've read 3 and seen about 4 and a half (I've only seen the end of Polar Express). My favorite film adaptation of A Christmas Carol has to be Scrooge with Albert Finney in the title role. Most of it is the book word for word, but it's also a musical and we watch it every Christmas Eve.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

You're doing better than me, then, and I didn't read any more this year than I ever have in the past.

I love that version of Scrooge, as well. I like when he's wandering the streets and everyone's thanking him for dying... priceless.

Related Posts with Thumbnails