Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"Firstborn" by Brandon Sanderson

Hey, everyone, check out Brandon Sanderson's short story, "Firstborn," posted on Tor just this afternoon. While it's much more "sci fi" than his published books, it's still got his knack for storytelling.

It deals with ideas about winning and losing, parental expectations, the ethics of medical science, etc. If nothing else, however, it's entertainment on the long, long Wednesday before my Christmas vacation.

"California dreamin' on such a winter's day..."

*PS: don't read the comments below until after you read the story.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a good read! I liked it, however, I wish you hadn't said anything about cloning.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Duly noted. I'm sorry, I hope I didn't ruin the story for you, and I removed the spoiler from the post itself.

I hate when I do crap like that!

Daniele said...

Very enjoyable! Even the end was a twist from what I was expecting...I thought that since he'd never had to retreat before they'd be able to overtake him and win that way. I didn't expect him to just completely give up like that.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

I know! I thought it was really good. I really enjoy Sanderson's writing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails