This rating was determined based on the use of the following words:
- death (3x): since when has discussing current events and the chance of imminent disaster when flying in a plane inappropriate?
- bitch (2x): I'll cop to one of these, as it was probably inappropriate to call J.K. Rowling a female dog (I'm using a euphimism to avoid upping my blog rating), but the other one was a quotation from Hemingway. I should get cultural points for that one!
- hell (1x): um, yeah... I got nothing for this one. Not only was I using the word "hell," I was using it as an expletive because I, sir, am a potty mouth. Although, really, how fucking bad is "hell?" Buncha stick-up-their-asses website raters...
It should be noted that my rating jumped up to an "R" after I published this post. Apparently "they" (whoever "they" are) took exception with the following words:
- hell (4x but now 5x): I guess I got a little carried away. I apologize if I offended anyone.
- bitch (3x but now 4x): Technically, I was only re-capping previous use of the offending term. Again, I apologize if I offended anyone.
- whore (1x but now 2x): Now this one I refuse to accept. Why was it that my plane crash post was so much more offensive than calling J.K. Rowling an attention whore (oops, 3x)? And really, talking about attention whores (4x) isn't exactly the same as talking about crack hoes, is it? Whatever.
I guess maybe I should take this a little more seriously. Check out this article from The Times, in which there is a proposal in the UK that would allott "cinema-style age ratings [...] to websites under government plans to restrict access to unacceptable material." Interestingly enough, however, Andy Burnham, the Culture Secretary, told The Daily Telegraph that his proposals were not intended as an attack on freedom of speech, but that some web material went too far: “You can still view content on the internet which I would say is unacceptable. You can view a beheading.” I'm glad that someone's focused on violence online rather than just porn. (And now, thanks to the four-letter-p-word, my site will probably be blocked at work. Great.)