Thursday, January 1, 2009

11% of New Year's Resolutions...

... are broken in the first week, no matter how likely they may seem during that magical second at the stroke of midnight. Happy New Year!

Regardless, I think everyone should resolve to read at least one specific title this year, be it a book you've tried in the past or a book you've always meant to get around to reading. (Cough--1984--cough.) The following are the books I'm resolving to read this year:

Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse
Not only does it come highly recommended from a friend of mine, but I stumbled across several references to it in my literary exploits this year (including The French Lieutenant's Wife, though it was admittedly referencing the story of Siddhartha rather than this specific book, but I'm still counting it.) I've tried the book once or twice, but I've been having problems with the episodic organization of the chapters (which is also my problem with Huckleberry Finn.) I'm still bound and determined to read it, however.
On the Road, by Jack Kerouac
I've already read The Dharma Bums and other various examples of Beat literature, but I want to read On the Road sometime before I leave Denver, if only to be able to say that I did so.
Wuthering Heights, by Emily Bronte
I'll be damned if I'll let Heathcliff and all those Catherines get the better of me. This one I'm resolving to read just so I can chuck the book and never have to think about it again. Sadly, I'm having problems getting rid of it when I've only finished half of it and am still determined to read the rest at one point or another.
Life of Pi, by Yann Martel
Heard it was good. That is all.
One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
This is another book I'm about a quarter of the way into that I would like to finish sooner rather than later. It's so dense that I often feel as though I'm missing something, but I do intend to finish it this year.
And there you have it. Meet me here in a year so we can recap whether or not I actually managed to read them all.

8 comments:

Homero said...

I actually somewhat enjoyed "On the Road," it's a much better read than, say, "Desolation Angels" I'd recommend "The Portable Beat Reader"-- it gives such a wider view of the Beat influence.

Skip "100 Years" and read instead "Of Love and Other Demons" also by Marquez. Just as dense, but not the beat you over the head look-at-me-I'm-Literature type. Personally, magical realism bores me to death. "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz. It sorta fit's in the magical realism category, but my God, it's an amazing read. You'll thank me. Get it now!

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

I lent my Portable Beat Reader to someone and he stole it. I was not a happy camper.

And you're right about "100 Years"--it's so deliberately artsy fartsy that I was having problems getting through it. But I will... eventually.

I intend to try "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao," as well, because it's been recommended to me by numerous people.

Homero said...

Email me your address, and I'm mail you mine. You can have it. Grad school is a bit far off with the current economy. And I'll send off more marginal notes for your novel.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Score! Thanks, that's awesome.

And are they marginal notes or notes in the margin?

Homero said...

Marginal notes that have notes written in the margins.

Chatty Cathy said...

I can't believe someone would go through life having not read
"1984"... how lame can they be...oh wait that's me. That is my goal for 2009, but we'll see.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

That was your goal for 2007 and 2008, I believe, too. It's okay, though, because you know who Big Brother is.

Hell, if you watch V for Vendetta, you'll get a pretty good idea what's going on. (Not that I'm advocating NOT watching it by any means.)

Daniele said...

I think you'll like Life of Pi. It was one I couldn't put down. I recently realized that I missed out on a lot of really good books in high school. Not that we didn't read good ones, I just had the realization while watching Footloose that I'd never read Slaughterhouse Five, or anything Vonnegut for that matter. So that's on my list as well as Cat's Cradle. I started the Flannery O'Connor collection you recommended earlier...I wasn't expecting it to be quite so depressing...
...but I'll finish it eventually.

I just finished Take the Cannoli by Sarah Vowell. I think you'd like it. She's a contributer on This American Life on NPR and this book is a collection of her essays/memories/I'm-not-sure-exactly-what-to-call-them. It's really good though. I actually laughed out loud a couple times.

Related Posts with Thumbnails