Friday, February 20, 2009

100 Posts!

Well, folks, I've officially reached 100 posts. Looking back at the last eleven months, I'm amazed at how much I--and this blog--have changed. When I first started blogging, it was a way of projecting my thoughts onto the Internet, of making a difference in the world, no matter how small that difference might be.

Now, however, I find myself exploring scouring the Internet for interesting things to think about and write about. I'm reaching out of myself, now, rather than trying to draw others in to my own personal space (though I do occasionally have my moments).

Still, this seems like an appropriate time to look back at my last 100 posts and reflect on what I think my best moments were, whether or not they were particularly brilliant, mildly amusing, or just fun to write. I'll ignore the worst moments because this is my blog, damnit, and I'll write about what I want to write about.

Lindsay-with-an-A's Top Ten Posts (so far):


I really enjoyed reading this book and was incredibly proud of myself for picking up on the stocking / bare leg imagery throughout the novel. It was subtle enough that at first I wondered if I was just projecting my own hatred of panty hose onto the book, but upon closer inspection (and a second reading), it coalesced in my mind. Sinclar's a genius.

2) Little Did He Know: Dramatic Irony in Stranger Than Fiction

This was fun to write, if only so I could tell people that I was writing a book report about a movie.

3) Rowling Determined to Wring Every Red Cent from Harry Potter...

Never let it be said that my distaste for Rowling's business dealings is discreet, subtle, or understated.



4) Laughter and Community in James Agee's A Death in the Family

See above description for #1, but replace: "stocking / bare leg" with "laughter"; "panty hose" with "groupthink"; and "Sinclair" with "Agee."


This was the first time I really decided that I didn't care what the literary community thought about literary fiction vs. genre fiction. I'm passably educated, somewhat intelligent, and entitled to my own opinion. Towanda!

6) Would the Real Cinderella Please Stand Up?

I would say this is just interesting. You might think I'm wrong, but please see #5 to determine if I care.

7) Can You Honestly Say You're Surprised?

Ernest Hemingway's mom used to dress him up like a girl. Enough said.

8) The Greatest Mark Twain Disappointment of My Life

This post was short, sweet, and to the point. It was also written to serve as a warning to those who try to do preliminary research before hiking up Jackass Hill, as most of the information available on-line is vague to the point of being misleadingly useless.

9) A Victorian in Vegas

The French Lieutenant's Woman tied in almost perfectly with many events that took place in my life at the time of reading it, and it was fun exploring one aspect in which it made me reflect so carefully on the world around me.

By the by, Chatty Cathy was lounging beside me by the pool when the sorority girls were irritating me so thoroughly, and she said the expression on my face was priceless. You'll probably be able to guess what it was like when you read this post.

10) The Best $40 You'll Ever Spend

Mmm... Keats.

7 comments:

Chatty Cathy said...

Congrats on reaching 100 posts! I have loved all your posts from your hilarious Mark Twain adventure, which was classic, to a "Victorian in Vegas"(which I am sooo happy I witnessed) to your "Dark and stormy night..." post which lead me to read that hainus story entitled "Blaze." You got to love those kinds of books that are suppose to be "romantic" and "sexy", but just end up making you cringe and laugh at the 3rd grade writing. I also love the story you wrote about your sleep issues, which had beautiful imagery. Anyways, I could go on and on about how much I love your blog. Thank you so much for making my workdays more enjoyable.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Have I told you lately that I love you?

Chatty Cathy said...

Awww,don't make me cry...also, my mom wanted me to tell you that you have given my family such a wonderful gift. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have taken back up the guitar. Now I play all the time, and now Briana plays all the time. We just went on a family road trip to go see Elizabeth and we played our guitars for hours during the long drive. On the drive back my mom turned to me and said "we are so lucky that you met Lindsay." So besides thanking you for your posts, I should also thank you for being such a wonderful person.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

I think we're both lucky we met each other. Who else would want to go to a Cher concert AND play "The Highwayman" twenty million times on the guitar?

...good times, good times.

Chatty Cathy said...

That is true...we are a rare breed.

Homero said...

I always imagined Keats to look like Elijah Wood in "Lord of the Rings."

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Actually, that's probably not far off. He wasn't particularly manly, I don't think. It was more his story that made me all weepy in college when I studied his poetry and letters.

Related Posts with Thumbnails