Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Not-So-Gentle (Re)Viewer: Hamlet 2 (2008)

In my defense, when I originally decided to see Hamlet 2, I did not know that it is "from the co-writer of South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut and Team America: World Police." Had I known that, I might not have chosen to see this movie.

All I can do now is try to make the world right again by persuading everyone I know to never watch this movie. It's what I would describe as: awful. Tedious. Mildly amusing in places, but not enough to make up for the sheer awfulness of the rest of the film.

The background of the story is about a high school teacher who decides to write a play called Hamlet 2 to save his drama program. I was curious as to how they would deal with the themes and characters of the original Hamlet, little suspecting that they would never even be addressed. Little is preserved from Hamlet other than character names; the premise of the play is that Hamlet finds a time machine and manages to go back in time to prevent all of the deaths in Elsinore. Next thing the audience knows, Jesus is running around to the theme song, "Rock Me, Sexy Jesus." Though this is apparently supposed to criticize modern-day celebrity culture, it is impossible to forget that this was done ten years ago with much more flare (please see picture at right).

Anyway, don't waste your time or your money. You have been warned.

2 comments:

Daniele said...

haha, "your buddy Jesus" love it!

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

"Your buddy Jesus" was so much better than "Sexy sexy Jesus" I can't even put it into words.

Related Posts with Thumbnails