Thursday, February 12, 2009

Something Old, Nothing New

"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten." --Marie Antoinette

Does anyone else occasionally get depressed by this idea, or is it just me?

Even if one could create something really creative that really says something, chances are it wouldn't get published in a world where the author of Eat, Pray, Love is considered a genius, if only by herself. There are intellectual, academic, and publishing trends to consider, as well, and anything that falls outside of what is currently considered fashionable is just SOL.

Sigh.

(Ignore me, I'm recovering from a strange one-day virus that may be wreaking havoc with my usually-healthy supply of hope and faith in the goodwill of men, which is probably what's making me channel the emo. I should be fully recovered soon.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If we wanted to ignore you, why would we read your blog?

Glad to see it's alive again, by the way. :)

Homero said...

Am I going to have to quote Bukowski's
'so you want to be writer'? Don't make me!

Anyway, odds are, anything we write will more than likely become magnificent monuments of literary significance a few weeks after death, like Gerard Hopkins, Emily Dickenson, and that one guy who wrote that one book. (Yes, I said 'we' because I often find myself in your shoes)

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

This is why I need to (a) get a manager to organize my book burnings to boost sales, and (b)fake my death.

Chatty Cathy said...

Um...I thought I was going to be your manager? I've got big plans for you.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Yes, but first I need to come up with some way to pay you for your efforts. Think of the event organizing necessary for book burnings and protests--you deserve to be compensated.

Chatty Cathy said...

Just buy me a lifetime supply of Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and we can call it even.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Mmm... cinnamon rolls.

Related Posts with Thumbnails