Monday, March 2, 2009

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!

If Theodore Giesel (aka Dr. Seuss) were alive today, he'd be turning 105 years old. As it is, all we have left is his work--my favorite being The Lorax, which I first came across when I was eleven years old and attending Keystone Science School. This serves, I believe, to remind us that all fields can and should be inter-connected. Literature should be used to explore other fields of thought.

And that is why, twelve years after I first fell in love with "natural science," I will quote the esteemable Dr. Seuss,
But now, says the Once-ler,
Now that you're here,
the word of the Lorax seems perfectly clear.

UNLESS someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. It's not.
SO...Catch! calls the Once-ler. He lets something fall.
It's a Truffula Seed. It's the last one of all!

You're in charge of the last of the Truffula Seeds.
And Truffula Trees are what everyone needs.
Plant a new Truffula. Treat it with care.
Give it clean water. And feed it fresh air.
Grow a forest. Protect it from axes that hack.
Then the Lorax and all of his friends may come back.

1 comment:

Esther said...

this was one of my favorite childhood books as well. "i am the lorax. i speak for the trees." it always really struck something within me. thank you for bringing it to others' attention.

Related Posts with Thumbnails