Friday, May 29, 2009

"Banality on all Sides"

Hugh Laurie on the Twitter phenomenon: "As I look around my friends' tweets I see banality on all sides. I don't understand the purpose of it. [...] I think if people were able to take these 140 characters (allowed in each post) and develop a poetic Western form - a haiku of our own in which all human existence could be compressed into those 140 characters - that would be a satisfying thing, but that's not what I see when I read them."

I don't "tweet" for this very reason. My "tweets" would read something like this:

"Didn't do laundry, have nothing to wear / But on Fridays I just don't care. / Coffee on skirt on the way to work, / God, some days I feel like a jerk."

I really don't see how this fad holds interest for anyone. My advice for the tweeters out there: don't write if you have nothing to say.

2 comments:

Homero said...

I don't see YOU at the conference!

http://www.140conf.com/

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

That. Is. Awesome.

You must be one of the "characters" Jeff keeps referring to in the promotional video.

Related Posts with Thumbnails