Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Metabloggery and Authority

au-thor-i-ty: the power to determine, adjudicate, or otherwise settle issues or disputes; jurisdiction; the right to control, command, or determine.

There are ways a blogger can gain authority on-line (most of them including linking to other blogs, posting insightful comments, as well as other things resembling effort which I am too lazy to put in), and there are ways to measure on-line authority. One such form of measurement is technorati.com, which tracks the number of sites which link to a blog to determine how well-respected that blog is on-line.

Well, lo and behold, without any effort on my part, I currently have an authority rating of 1 (which is not good, but not as bad as my former rating of zero, haha) thanks to two "responses" to my blog. One was from In Bronte Country, which briefly linked to my review of the film Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. (In all honesty, I would have preferred them to link to my review of the novel Wuthering Heights, if only so that my rant could get the attention it deserves, as well as to stir up a few feathers... because I'm contrary like that.)

The other link was from Buzz Newsroom, which apparently thought my post, "Can A Book Be A Deal Breaker?" was in response to something about Bill O'Reilly. As much as I am honored to have been considered an authority by a site which currently features the headline, "Mary-Louise Parker Doesn't Like Showing Off Her Big Nipples," I cannot help but feel that the link was undeserved as I wasn't actually responding to Bill O'Reilly, I just used him as an example of things I don't like others to read.

Anyway, my point is this: on-line authority is bogus. It is random, unreliable, and somewhat unstable. It is for this reason that, while I am pleasantly surprised to have an authority rating at all, I probably will not go to any great lengths to make that number rise.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails