Thursday, June 18, 2009

Not-So-Gentle Viewer: Next (1989)


Ladies and gents, take my advice and take a look at Next by Barry Purves. It is a brilliant short film in which, according to Purves' website, "William Shakespeare, alone on stage, auditions for his life, in front of a rather unimpressed Peter Hall." It includes (apparently) gags from all of Shakespeare's plays in just over five minutes.

While I didn't "get" all of them (all the histories start to blend in my memory), I did catch references to the following: Julius Caesar, Antony and Cleopatra, Much Ado About Nothing, Hamlet, Othello, The Tempest, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Taming of the Shrew (maybe), The Merchant of Venice, Twelfth Night, and A Winter's Tale. Obviously I missed some, but that's not bad, right? Right?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails