Friday, June 26, 2009

A Dose of Culture: Dante Alighieri

Welcome to what I hope will become an almost-daily feature, "A Dose of Culture." Really, I'm just trying to prove to myself I haven't "lost it," as it were.

"[...] By that hidden way
My guide and I did enter, to return
To the fair world: and heedless of repose
We climb’d, he first, I following his steps,
Till on our view the beautiful lights of Heaven
Dawn’d through a circular opening in the cave:
Thence issuing we again beheld the stars."

--The Inferno, Canto XXXIV

4 comments:

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

This is, in my opinion, the most beautiful part of The Inferno, when Dante and Virgil climb out of hell and see the stars shining overhead, symbols of order in chaos and the promise of heaven.

Beautiful.

Of course, that part where the guy (maybe) eats his own children when they're all in prison is pretty good, too.

Anonymous said...

You're nearly daily attempt seems to be skittering towards the deep end. :(

Anonymous said...

Damn. That was a different Anonymous, by the by. So much for proofreading.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

When I say "daily," I mean Monday-Friday. You'll see. You'll love it.

Oh, and from now on I'll hold you personally responsible for all comments posted anonymously.

Related Posts with Thumbnails