Monday, June 22, 2009

Not-So-Gentle Viewer: The Adventures of Mark Twain (1985)

I've never considered myself a particular fan of Mark Twain: while I loved A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, I despised The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. I was therefore of mixed feelings when I heard about the 1985 claymation film The Adventures of Mark Twain.

While I generally enjoy claymation films (such as Next or The Nightmare Before Christmas), the style of this film is distinctly disturbing, though I find it difficult to pinpoint why it bothers me. Of the short stories covered by Mr. Twain in the film, I find the most interesting to be "The Diaries of Adam and Eve", which I've written about before. While I feel that the screenplay did a pretty accurate job of capturing the feeling of the story, the medium is, again, distracting as the director seems to make almost a cartoon out of the clay figures.

Despite all of this, however, what I find lacking in the movie overall is the "so what" factor. I didn't feel drawn in and, in fact, didn't bother to finish watching the film. Movies should be either interesting or entertaining, and this movie is (D) none of the above.

2 comments:

Homero said...

Good Lord, I love that movie. It made a very large impression on me the first time I watched it as an 8 year old.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

My cousin (who's a couple years older than me) loves it, too. I feel like it's the kind of thing that you love if you saw it as a kid. (Kind of like Princess Bride, I guess.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails