Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"When You're a English Major...

... you're an English major all the way / From your first sonnet / To your last dying day."

I know, the rhythm is completely thrown off by the extra syllables but I couldn't come up with anything better. (I've never claimed to be a poet.)

Anyway, I have a (very mildly) amusing anecdote that brought this up. I was having a conversation this weekend with a hydro-geologist who kept saying that his wife didn't enjoy geology because "she's an English Major, very artsy."

The (very mildly) amusing part? This man had to be at least in his seventies, meaning (theoretically) that his wife has been out of school for decades. However, he still refers to her as "being" an English major, rather than saying she "was" an English major, which means that, in his mind (and in mine, too, actually) "English" is much more a state of mind than merely a four-year course of study.

So being an English major is almost like being a Jet... only without the dance routines and rumbles.

2 comments:

Homero said...

Compleatly off topic, but if you google search 'not so gentle reader' (without the quotes) the first thing that comes up now is this blog. Congrats.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

"Movin' on up...!"

I'm actually surprised by how many hits my site gets, actually, according to the ever-useful Google Analytics.

Related Posts with Thumbnails