Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Defining Fanatics

Did any of you hear about the "rabid Harry Potter fan [who] took his life yesterday after inadvertently learning a plot spoiler from the soon-to-be-released J.K. Rowling movie, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince"?

Well, okay, it's a joke (I'm assuming, based on the context of the article), but here's the thing: can someone be a fan of the Harry Potter franchise without actually reading the books? On the radio this morning, I was listening to callers who said things like, "I've been a fan of Harry Potter since the first movie, and I love Daniel Radcliffe!" That's nice, it really is, but the movies have so much less to offer than the books do (which is almost always the case).

I guess I'm wondering if you can be a "true" Harry Potter fan and not have read the books. I've read the entire series (and seen all the movies thus far) and still don't define myself as a "true" fan. I'm just wondering where these people get off saying things like, "You have to see all the movies to really know what's going on." Really, people? Really?

2 comments:

Daniele said...

Would someone be able to get away with saying they're a huge Jane Austen fan if they'd only seen the movies? (Not that I would really ever compare the two authors, but it's the principle of the thing)

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Seriously! It irritates me to hear "fans" talk about how they don't want to read the books until RIGHT before the movie comes out and other baloney like that. You are not a fan if you do crap like this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails