Friday, July 24, 2009

Google Analytics is a Girl's Best Friend, Part I

For those of you who don't know, Google Analytics is awesome. It tracks how many visitors a particular site (in this case a literary blog) receives, how those visitors reach that site/literary blog, and the search terms used if the visitors reached that site/literary blog through a search engine.

If anyone's curious, here six of the least popular searches that have led people to my site, following in the illustrious footsteps of Bookgasm's "Search Me" feature last month:

(1) "terry goodkind bdsm"

It's almost depressing how many people have found my site through searches that have one thing or another to do with Terry Goodkind (depressing because I hated Goodkind's book, and therefore people who are doing searches on him probably won't see any value in my review of Wizard's First Rule anyway.)

(2) "asexual jenny"

Yeah, I got nothing on this one, and even my own "asexual jenny" search on google came up with nothing (and did not include Not-So-Gentle Reader, so I don't know how they found me).

(3) "flashstorm, eharlequin"

I have no idea what this person was looking for (reviews? free copies? It was an e-book in Harlequin, for God's sake, so I don't know why you'd want to go much further than that), but I do know that they probably didn't appreciate my take on that dramatic masterpiece, Flashstorm. (Oh, and I just realized that the book wasn't called Flashstorm, it was Flashpoint, (my bad) but regardless... it was baaaaad writing.)

(4) "gay titus spotblog"

Yeah, I got nothing on this one, either. I did a search on google but I was afraid to actually open any of the websites I found (none of which were Not-So-Gentle Reader) because they all included either XXX or (888)***-**** and seemed like the kinds of thing corporate IT would frown upon.

(5) "romantic leading men besides mr darcy"

Oh, I know exactly which post this person found his/her way to, but, again, my own search didn't come up with this site. (Interestingly enough, Bing.com doesn't feature blogs in their searches... that's good to know, I suppose.)

And finally, my personal favorite of the least popular search terms,

(6) "t s eliot in a nutshell"

I'm pretty sure I can give the credit for this one to Homero, for summing up "The Wasteland" for us so eloquently, but for those of you who want to know my take on " t s eliot in a nutshell", here it is: "a pain in the ass." For those of you who prefer one-word descriptions: "apainintheass." (By the way, I'm going to copyright that, so don't quote it without giving me credit... it's the only way I'm going to be able to boost visitors.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails