Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Non-Review: Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict, by Laurie Viera Rigler

So, remember when I read that one book, Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict, last year, didn't really like it, gave it a C+ and then later went back and said it didn't even deserve that? Yeah, me too.

Well, imagine my surprise and... well, mostly surprise, actually, to discover that the sequel to that steaming pile of pastiche has finally been released. I don't know about you, but I don't have the time to sit through it, so let me give you the run-down of it that I picked up from flipping through it in my local bookstore. You're welcome (since now neither of us actually have to read the whole thing).
  • Unsurprisingly, Jane Mansfield wakes up in the body of Courtney Stone and must navigate the complications inherent in the 21st-Century lifestyle. The excuse of "amnesia" is undoubtedly used often.
  • She's given the choice of two love interests, Wes (whom we met in the first book) and Frank (who, presumably, is the "other love interest," a la Mr. Elliot in Persuasion or Mr. Wickham in Pride and Prejudice. I've made this brilliant deduction based on the semi-mystical event that took place at the end of the first book).
  • She has to learn how to drive a car, use a microwave, etc. (I'm sorry, but I think anyone who's seen Kate and Leopold already has a pretty good idea how this is going to go.)
  • She must choose between the men, etc. etc. etc., let's wring every last drop out of this whole Jane Austen fad while we can, etc. etc. etc.
  • Finally, I can't believe I've never been published if this is the kind of thing they're putting out now.

3 comments:

Homero said...

...
I like "Kate and Leopold."

Daniele said...

Me too, but I think that may be because Hugh Jackman is the perfect combination of warmth, chivalry, and animal magnetism...sigh

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

RUDE AWAKENINGS OF A JANE AUSTEN ADDICT: the poor man's Kate and Leopold.

Seriously, I loved that movie. This book, however, can suck it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails