Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Short Review: Brandon Sanderson's Hero of Ages

Yes, it's another post about Brandon Sanderson, but the man absolutely amazes me. Hero of Ages, released in paperback in April, is the concluding book of the Mistborn trilogy and is fantastic. (While I didn't write about the second book of the trilogy, The Well of Ascension, please rest assured that I enjoyed it almost as much as I did the first in the series, The Final Empire.)

This
is what fantasy is supposed to be. Yes, as some reviewers have pointed out, the book has some pacing problems, but the story explores big ideas, which is what fantasy should do, in my opinion. Dragons and wizards that aren't metaphors for anything can be fun, but emperors and warring gods who are metaphors are so much better.

Anyway, I don't want to say anything else to ruin the series for anyone, but if you like fantasy at all, then I can almost guarantee that you will like this series. Get it, now.

2 comments:

Daniele said...

I read them all after I read your review of the first one. I think the first is still my favorite, but Brandon Sanderson has definitely become one of the authors that I look for when I wander into a book shop. Do you have any other recommendations? I loved his short story you posted a while back.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

I also really liked ELANTRIS despite its issues (it was, after all, his first published novel), and he just had WARBREAKER published in hardback but I haven't gotten a chance to read that yet. I really like his work...

Related Posts with Thumbnails