Thursday, October 1, 2009

Craigslist: An Excercise in Futility

Craigslist (in case you didn't know) bites the big one. I recently decided that I wanted to go back to tutoring English (which I did through both high school and college), and as I didn't want to pay 40% for a tutoring company to list my information on-line, I finally determined that I would enter the uncharted waters of Craigslist.

Here's the listing I posted:
English Tutor (Downtown Denver)

I earned my BA in English Literature from UCLA with a GPA of 3.5, and I have 4-5 years of experience tutoring English at both the high school and the college level. I offer reading and writing assistance and have also served as an editor for college admission letters.

Cost is $20 an hour, but I can be somewhat flexible as I remember what it was like to be a poor college student.

Email me if you have any questions.
All I've gotten back is a bunch of nonsense written in horrible English (they could obviously use a tutor, but I'm not much for tutoring scam artists) telling me that _____ lives in the UK and his/her son/daughter will be in Baltimore for three months and ____ would like me to tutor his/her son/daughter four times a week and he/she will arrange for a driver to deliver the son/daughter to my apartment for tutoring. 

Finding it hard to believe that anyone would want to drive from Baltimore to Denver every other day for a $20 tutoring session.  What I can't understand is what these scam artists get from sending out these fake emails.  Is there some kind of fetish for faking responses on Craigslist?  "Scamophilia," perhaps?

(By the way, if anyone has a friend who wants either an English tutor or a proofreader, send 'em my way.  I don't believe I'll be getting anything good from Craigslist.)

4 comments:

Homero said...

Pft, that's a normal bot/spam reply. Those are automated, no fetish needed. In your original post, ask the individual who is replying to put something like "Tutor" in the subject line. If the email doesn't have that, delete without even looking. Bots will use either the same subject line or just "RE:"

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

I just don't see the point of doing it--it's not like I'll respond to their email with my social security number or mother's maiden name. What even motivates people to do this kind of crap?

Homero said...

It's quick and easy way to make fast money. YOU won't send that info, but if one person does, that' all you need.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

You're (depressingly) right. My grandma used to think that on-line pop-ups were messages from her computer, so she'd go ahead and download whatever popped up. I'm surprised her system ran at all!

Related Posts with Thumbnails