Thursday, September 24, 2009

Grammar Snark : )

While I have made it generally known how much I despise internet acronyms ("lol", "rofl", "imho", "bfn", etc.), I find to my horror that I am coming to appreciate the finer points of communicating by emoticon. Perhaps it is because I tend to have a fairly sarcastic sense of humor or perhaps it is because I have had numerous miscommunications via text message or IM--regardless, more and more emoticons have found their way into my daily usage. Acronyms, on the other hand, are both ambiguous and over-used and irritate the hell out of me.

In the past, I have always felt that both emoticons and acronyms are simply the lazy man's form of typing. My opinion of that hasn't changed, because it is the lazy man's form of typing, but I am slowly and surely becoming that lazy (wo)man.

However, in my defense, there is apparently a long and rich history of using emoticons, dating all the way back to the 19th Century. In fact, according to the ever-reliable Wikipedia, "Typographical emoticons were published in 1881 by the U.S. satirical magazine, Puck." Who can argue with a cultural expert such as that?

Anyway, my point is this: I hate the lolz but can appreciate the utility of the :).

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails