Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lindsay-with-an-A, Indie Writer

Skipping over to The Rumpus this morning, I found this opening sentence greeting me: "Tao Lin, 26-year-old indie lit world phenomenon has published two books of poetry, the novel Eeeee Eee Eeee, the short story collection Bed and most recently the autobiographical novella Shoplifting From American Apparel."

My first thought was, "What the hell kind of title is Eeeee Eee Eeee?"

My second thought was, "Indie lit?  Seriously?"

I don't listen to indie music, and I rarely watch indie films.  In my experience, the audience for anything labeled "indie" is limited to skinny-jeans-wearing-hipsters who like to say things like, "My favorite artist is Yasmin Tayeby.  You've probably never heard of her," while looking down their nose at me.  Therefore, the idea of indie lit causes an instant upchuck response--especially when the definition of indie lit (according to the ever-reliable wikipedia) is, "books published outside of mainstream publishing."

What the hell kind of definition is that?  While the term "indie lit" seems to imply a literary movement or genre, it is, in fact, neither--it is merely the method by which the book was published and distributed.  Around here we call that "vanity publishing."

Ed. Note: In fact, from now on, I wish to be called--not a blogger--but an "indie writer," as I have been published only outside of mainstream publishing.

4 comments:

Homero said...

Man, I hate hipsters... they're like uber-pretentious neo-hippies.

Homero said...

Oh, and I thought you might be interested in this:
http://www.theamericanscholar.org/the-decline-of-the-english-department/

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

First: Denver is chock-full of hipsters, which is a never-ending source of irritation to me. Every coffee shop is stuffed full of Ray-Ban clad androgynous adolescents taking up MY favorite table. Grr.

Secondly: I'm totally going to blog about that article. Keep a weather eye out for it.

AGRIDULCE said...

hahaha.. of all indie people in the world why did you pick yasmin?

Related Posts with Thumbnails