Wednesday, September 2, 2009

While I Was Out...

Here's what I would have been writing about over the last week if I hadn't been distracted with other things:
  • Check out the New York Times article, "A New Assignment: Pick Books You Like." While I think that such a program in schools can definitely help children learn to love the act of reading, such a program runs the risk of neglecting to teach them anything them about actual "literature"--whatever that is.
  • There's an incredibly interesting dissection of the treatment of PTSD in Fiction over at Tor.com if any of you are so inclined: Part 1 and Part 2.
  • I picked up a book from the library called Nerds Like It Hot, just because this part of the back cover sounds hilarious: "He's rediscovered his inner nerd… Lex thought he had left behind his nerdy ways, but his suave demeanor has no chance against Gillian's bombshell image and the smart, sexy woman within." I haven't actually read it yet, but I have appropriately low/high standards, depending on how you look at it.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails