Friday, October 9, 2009

Friday Featured Comic: Jane Austen

Here's yet another comic from Kate Beaton over at Hark! A Vagrant, which Beaton accompanies with the rather dry question, "Man I wonder what Jane Austen would think of some of her crazier fans, now that she has fans." Don't we all. (Cough--Pride and Prejudice and Zombies--cough.)
(For those of you who don't believe that Jane Austen did write social commentaries, I recommend you re-read Persuasion and pay especially close attention to the different roles that Anne Elliot plays, as well as the different ways in which she is treated by different classes.)

4 comments:

Homero said...

"Man I wonder what Jane Austen would think of some of her crazier fans, now that she has fans."

She'd probably tell you to reread the restraining order. Oh, and to rename your cat.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

I was going to say that I'm not a rabid fan, but then I flashed to a scene in an IHOP when I overheard three ladies discussing Charlotte Lucas in Pride and Prejudice: one of them was arguing that Charlotte represented Austen's ideal woman.

My eye was twitching, and I was nearly overcome by the desire to walk up to them and tell them to shut the hell up until they had reread the book, because they obviously didn't know what they were talking about. We left IHOP shortly thereafter.

Homero said...

As much as I didn't care for the book, I would have poured boysenberry syrup on their heads.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Charlotte Lucas? CHARLOTTE LUCAS? REALLY?

Oh, and did anyone else hear that a film called "Pride and Predator" is in production right now?

How I wish I were joking...

Related Posts with Thumbnails