Monday, October 5, 2009

I Ain't Sayin' She's a Gold Digger

So The Guardian writer Tanya Gold recently wrote in "Why Women Have Sex,"
"We are, apparently, scrabbling around for what biologists call 'genetic benefits' and 'resource benefits.' Genetic benefits are the genes that produce healthy children. Resource benefits are the things that help us protect our healthy children, which is why women sometimes like men with big houses. Jane Eyre, I think, can be read as a love letter to a big house."
I'm not entirely convinced by this argument--at least not in the case of Jane Eyre, in which, according to Gold, the materialistic main character Jane actually leaves Thornfield when it becomes apparent that Mr. Rochester is already married.  At the end of the novel, when the "big house" burns down, there is far more attention paid to Rochester's injury and blindness.

This is not to say, however, that there are no books written as "a love letter to a big house."  I've always believed that Elizabeth Bennet, in Pride and Prejudice, had no real reason to overcome her prejudice towards Mr. Darcy until she saw his amazingly awesome huge house.  Suddenly, she's all a-flutter, thinking, (and I quote, for those who care to think I'm making this up),
 "'And of this place,' thought she, 'I might have been mistress! With these rooms I might now have been familiarly acquainted! Instead of viewing them as a stranger, I might have rejoiced in them as my own, and welcomed to them as visitors my uncle and aunt. -- But no,' -- recollecting herself, -- 'that could never be: my uncle and aunt would have been lost to me: I should not have been allowed to invite them.' This was a lucky recollection -- it saved her from something like regret."

Yeah, now it's "something like regret," when before it was, "I had not known you a month before I felt that you were the last man in the world whom I could ever be prevailed on to marry."  Now, I ain't sayin' she's a gold digger, but Miss Elizabeth Bennet ain't messin' with no broke... Darcy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth is not a gold digger. She's a smart woman, and smart women "see everything", to put it somehow.

Personally, I believe Elizabeth was unconsciously attracted to Darcy's strong
personality and his overall majesty from the start, but she was hurt by him hurting her ego and she was all like "I hate him". There's a lot of self-restrained passion in Elizabeth, in my opinion, she uses her brains and her sense of humor as weapons rather than her emotions. She always wants to keep her dignity.
Like they say, love and hate go hand in hand. If Elizabeth hates him so much why is she
concerned with him? She always wanted to talk about Darcy to criticize him. Then she got a crush on that other guy and it gave her even more of a reason to hate on Darcy and feel superior. In the end she found out Darcy and her were perfect for each other and being with him would pretty much only bring positives (for her and also for everyone) so she went for it. I admire Lizzie's smarts.

Related Posts with Thumbnails