Monday, November 23, 2009

The Painful Selling Out of Lindsay-with-an-A

In case any of you were wondering, I have officially sold out.

All of my previous selling-outs were nothing compared to this selling-out.  Of course, this selling-out has been far less painful than previous selling-outs, as well, so I'm not so ashamed of myself that I'm not willing to share it with my faithful readers.

Lindsay-with-an-A is now officially writing a romance novel.

I know, I know.  You're probably thinking to yourself, "But Lindsay-with-an-A is the biggest cynic I know!  She laughed at the end of The Notebook!  She mocks Jared diamond commercials!  How could she possibly write a romance novel?"

Here's the thing: I do enjoy reading romance novels, despite the inevitably cheese-tastic endings.  They're like cotton candy for the brain, only they're less guilt-inducing than romantic comedies because reading requires more effort and brain cells than watching movies ever will.  In addition, most heroines in romance novels today are spunky and don't take nothing from nobody, so of course I would enjoy that aspect.

But I digress.  My somewhat-shamefaced reading of romance novels has never before made me actually want to write one.  The incredibly depressing state of my bank account is the main motivating factor here, and as we've discussed before, romance novels are one of the few fields in publishing in which sales are not negatively affected by the economy.  It's probably one of the most stable supply-and-demands out there.

Anyway, we'll see how far I actually get in my historical romantic suspense.  The last time I tried to write a romance novel, I got bored about 40 pages in.  I'm pretty sure if I check my bank account at least once a day, it'll keep my enthusiasm going pretty steadily.

8 comments:

Homero said...

I look forward to reading this.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Yeah, I'll bet.

Homero said...

Well, if you can do it, than so can I. World, get ready for a romance novel written by a guy! It's time for a bormance novel.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

I hate to burst your go-where-no-man-has-gone-before bubble, but I think Nicholas Sparks has already cornered that particular market.

But if you could write something that wasn't sentimental slop, then you might be one of the first GOOD bromance writers.

Homero said...

But doesn't he do the traditional romance novel, a la "The Notebook"? I'm thinking something like "I Love You, Man" or "Forgetting Sara Marshell" but in novel form. And not as lame.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Oooh, THAT kind of bromance.

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but I'd have to say that the target audience for those films probably doesn't read as much as the target audience for my historical romantic suspense.

Daniele said...

You know, my college roommate has found writing romance novels to be quite the creative outlet. Of course, hers are mostly a tongue in cheek recasting of the guys in her real life, but they're very entertaining. The one she's writing now is "The Wedding Planner Assassin and the Sworn Virgin Prince of the Ukraine." As always, I look forward to reading anything you have to write.

Homero said...

I'm not sure how I stumbled on this post, but I'm interested in how this is coming along? :p

Related Posts with Thumbnails