Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Trumpet of the Swan Says, "Read to Your Children!"

I went to my cousin's house last week and helped put her daughters to bed (and by helped, I mean, provided moral support while my cousin did all the work).

After the girls were settled in their respective bunks, my cousin took out a copy of The Trumpet of the Swan, by E.B. White, to read to the girls before they went to sleep.  While I would have to say that there are problems with the story from a feminist perspective (because there always are), the fact that my cousin took the time to read to her daughters warmed the cockles of my heart.  I lay down next to my youngest cousin-once-removed (or second cousin or whatever she is) and absorbed the scene.

It reminded me of similar scenes with my mother, when she would read The Chronicles of Prydain to me and my younger brother.  There's a warmth in these scenes that is emotional more than physical, and I was wrapped in a feeling of well-being.  Despite the fact that the stressors of the world were hovering just outside the little bedroom, I was absolutely satisfied and content, and I have to believe my cousin's children had to feel at least a little of that.

Anyway, in the name of all that is holy, read to your children!

3 comments:

Daniele said...

After all, if you don't Mrs Schumey will come back and haunt you. (If you don't read to kids and don't register to vote)

Also, I loved the Chronicles of Prydain as a kid...I think I still would actually.

Homero said...

I really really want to be leave a smart ass commet, but that's such a sweet scene that I'll pass.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Haha, Mrs. Schumey was hilarious, despite the Republican overtones in her class.

And I know that sappy sentimentalism isn't normally my style, but I was totally mushy that night. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails