Thursday, March 25, 2010

How Come I Don't Have an App for That?

I'll tell you why: because I don't have an iPhone, for various reasons that include the fact that I refuse to pay their ungodly-high monthly service rates, in addition to the fact that all of the AT&T towers in downtown Denver are "corroded," so you definitely don't get what you pay for, anyway.  (I also dread becoming that person who pulls her iPhone out during Thanksgiving dinner to play a Billy Idol or some other stupidass video that is completely unnecessary.  I freaking hate those people.)

However, this might just change my mind: check out "Get London Reading," an iPhone app that tells you which books were set where in London.  This means that I have to find someone who has an iPhone and become good enough friends with him that I can invite him on my litnerd tour of London, but not good enough friends that I have to invite him to Thanksgiving dinner--because I freaking hate those people.  (You know the ones I mean.)

Denver has something kind of similar, though, although not nearly as cool.  If you walk around Denver, you occasionally come across a sign with a phone number on it, and if you call it, it gives you the history of the neighborhood you're in, although it's kind of a pain to find the signs in the first place and... yeah, I really need to make friends with someone with an iPhone.

8 comments:

Jillian said...

I'd hate to be that kind of iPhone user also -- the kind that takes out their beloved gadget to show it off. Ugh.

But I do own an iPhone, and imo, it's worth paying for. It has saved me a couple of times, especially when we went to busy cities by ourselves, and we had no idea how to work those crazy streets. It has been very convenient to me as well.

Oh, and the history app one sounds fantastic! Hm, I wonder if San Francisco has that at all...

great post :)

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

I already have a problem with the basic internet access I have, in that if I get in an argument with someone and I just KNOW that s/he is wrong, I'll whip my phone out and google whatever it is we're talking about. Stuff like that is compulsive. I know what I'm talking about. :)

Homero said...

When I was in London (Ph, did I ever tell you Kelley and I went to London and Dublin for our honeymoon? I didn't! Oh, well, we went to London and Dublin) there would be random signs every now and then that pointed to significant historical places. There were things that pointed out where Ben Johnson lived (right next to this really urine-ly smelling neighborhood) this way to the 'historic' (Rebuild) Globe Theater, etc etc etc.

As for the SF one, I think that would be fascinating. San Francisco has such a rich history that often times gets swallowed by its reputation.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Yes, you did tell me and I was bitterly jealous. I swear, I'm going to take every walking tour they offer when I finally get there.

You know what I should do? Start making blogging friends who live in the UK and cut the costs of my trip significantly by sleeping on their couches. Something to think about...

Katie said...

You're welcome to stay on my couch any time Lindsay.

Yours faithfully, your favourite blog reader, Katie :)

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Aww, thanks, Katie. Let me know if you're ever in CO and I'll blow my air mattress up for you. :)

JJ said...

Katie - in England we call them sofas ;)
but yes I have one on offer too :)

Katie said...

Yes JJ, but with your sofa would she get the promise of fascinating discussion on the topic of dystopian literature which is NOT in any way 'rambling and non-sensical'? I think the choice is clear ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails