Thursday, March 11, 2010

Ulysses in a Week: Day Two

(Note: Here's the history of my journey to the end of Ulysses thus far, for those of you who are curious.)

Unfortunately had very important plans that could not be pushed back, so only had the chance to read right before bed.  Happy to say a party Saturday night has been pushed back a week so I'll be able to focus on my week-long endeavor.  (Even happier to say that at least I started to catch a cold now rather than next week so at least I won't have to go out while sick.  Perfect excuse to stay in and read.)



Page 45:
Decided to push through the nonsense.
Page 55:
The nonsense finally ended.  Just realized that the numbers in the margins of the edition I'm reading actually indicate endnotes.  Apparently pays to be observant.
Page 56:
Done reading for today.  Only 727 more pages to go. ... Might have bitten off more than can chew.

4 comments:

Confused said...

I'm not sure how one thinks that they will get anything doing a run through Ulysses in a week. Might be light reading a 900page Harry Potter in two days. Oh, that's been done. :)

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Been there, done that. But in my defense, I was terrified that one more person would try to ruin the ending of Deathly Hallows and determined that it WOULD NOT HAPPEN.

And that's what you can accomplish in a twelve hour reading spree which starts on the road from Zion to Los Angeles. :)

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Lindsay, I just realised that a "Journey to the End of Ulysses" is sort of an Odyssey in its own right . . . if you take my meaning! =D

Even Odysseus thought it would be all right at the beginning . . . and then his hubris caught up with him . . . ;) Have you found an equivalent to the cyclops' cave yet?

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Hi Enbrethiliel, that's exactly what I was going for with the Ulysses reference, although it probably sounds more like a Jules Verne reference.

Funny that you mention the cyclops cave, however--I just got the offer of a promotion at work, but it would mean moving to another state in the very near future, so I've been spending as much time as possible with some of my favorite people (just in case my time here is more limited than expected).

James Joyce isn't one of those people, so it's probably safe to assume that this won't get done in a week. Hubris indeed. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails