Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Wednesday Dog Ears

This week's Dog Ears prove that the academic "elite" (as Ms. Palin would put it) really are out to corrupt our youth, while a publishing elite was snubbed by the Hollywood elite, and, long story short, liberals are the devil:
  • According to The New York Times, there are now "Textbooks That Professors Can Rewrite Digitally."  (This really wouldn't have affected my academic career if it had appeared about five years ago, if only because all my professors made me buy their textbooks, anyway.)
  • Yet another author wearing pants-on-fire has been revealed.  James Cameron's S.O.L.
  • Elizabeth Bachner of Bookslut discusses "Beauty, Decay: Reading The Hypochondriacs: Nine Tormented Lives by Brian Dillon."  The connection between illness and genius (in popular culture's understanding of genius, that is) is fascinating.
  • C. Max Magee of The Millions discusses "Judging Books by Their Covers: US vs UK", and he welcomes your "inexpert analysis," as well.
  • Apparently some dude named John Bertram challenged the faceless millions of the internet to create a cover for Lolita.  Here are the results, some of which are freaking disgusting considering what the book is actually about.
  • Dreaming of writing a novel that will be so great it will get a movie deal, which will be so great that it'll be nominated for six Oscars, and you'll be able to rent a tux or buy a dress and walk the red carpet?  Tough.

8 comments:

Homero said...

Digging the new layout. Just breakdown and put AdSense on...

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Thanks! I was sick to death of my old layout so I made this today. I'm not sure how long it will be up, but it's good for now.

And I respect my reader(s) far too much to inflict adsense on them. I know I can't freaking stand a lot of ads on a blog.

Homero said...

Why are you using the plural when referring to your 'readers'? (I kid, I kid!)

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

A girl can dream can't she?

Greg Zimmerman said...

Man, Walter Kirn just can't catch a break! ;)

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

On the one hand, I think it's ridiculous that the man who inspired the whole film wasn't on the A-List, but on the other hand, I don't know how involved he was in the production of the movie itself so I can understand that he didn't make the first cut.

Regardless, I'd be PISSED.

Confused said...

Very nice new look!

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Thank you! It's simple in a this-took-me-hours-to-set-up kind of way.

Related Posts with Thumbnails