Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Wisdom of a Fortune Cookie

I find it interesting that every time I go into J.J.'s Bistro (in Sakura Square here in Denver) I get a book-themed fortune cookie fortune, while my friends never get one.

(Of course, I kind of disagree with this particular bit of "wisdom"--the best books don't stay "the same today and forever," but actually change with you as time goes on, teaching you something new every time you read it.)

By the way, did anyone else know that "lo mein" in Colorado is "chow mein" in California, and vice versa?  (According to wikipedia, it's a West Coast / East Coast variation, but I'm kind of surprised that Colorado aligns with the East Coast when it's Western in so many other ways.)  Regardless, the lo mein at J.J.'s is quite delicious.

2 comments:

Cozy Book Nook said...

what are the odds?! Is it coincidence or fate? Very interesting!

I agree... books change with you over time. I think I've mentioned this on my blog too or maybe I just thought it. Gone with the Wind and Lord of the Rings are two that changed for me (among others). I missed so much reading them as a teen as opposed to an adult-- still learn something new everytime I read a beloved book.

Our lo mein in Ok is soft noodles tossed in sauce. Is yours like that or the crispier fried kind?

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Yes, the crispy noodles are chow mein on the West Coast and lo mein on the East Coast, while the soft noodles are opposite. It took me a while to figure that out after I moved to CO, though! I couldn't figure out why I kept getting the wrong plate.

Related Posts with Thumbnails