Monday, April 5, 2010

But I LUUURVE Him!

Check out this letter a fan of a book series "geared toward younger readers originally" wrote to  Ask Amy.  While Ask Amy automatically assumes that the letter-writer a die-hard Twilight fan, however, 'Obsessed' could be... well, obsessed with any number of series:
  • My Teacher is an Alien. Who wouldn't fall in love with a guy who can pull his face off?
  • A Series of Unfortunate Events. The creepy uncle / would-be-husband Count Olaf is exceedingly charming.
  • Goosebumps. R.L. Stine (pictured right) is a sexy beast.  (I know, I know, he isn't a character, but that picture seriously cracks me up.)
  • Harry Potter. If anyone is actually obsessed with Harry Potter, she obviously hasn't read Order of the Phoenix, when he becomes the biggest whiny bitch in the entire history of literature.  That's right, the entire history of literature!
  • The Chronicles of Narnia.  I guess it depends on which character she loves and whether or not she 'gets' the metaphor, but let me just put this out there: bestiality is never okay.  (I will, however, admit to having a slight crush on Mr. Tumnus in the most recent film adaptation, but can you blame me?  I love me some James McAvoy, cloven hoofs or not.)

4 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

According to one of my cousins, a romance also develops between two of the main characters in Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

And don't forget the chemistry and fierce loyalty between two characters in James Patterson's Maximum Drive!

But I'm sympathetic . . . I would have automatically guessed Twilight, too.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

I agree, she's PROBABLY right, although I'm still amazed by how many women are in love with the stalker, controlling vampire that is Edward Cullen.

Another character I was semi-in love with as a kid was Tobias from The Animorphs, despite the fact that he was trapped in a bird's body. :)

Daniele said...

What about the twins from the Wrinkle in Time series? or Taran in the Chronicles of Prydain? or Gilbert from Anne of Green Gables?

Honestly, who didn't crush on literary characters as a child?

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Yes, but the difference is that this woman is in her 50s. How can something so wrong feel so right haha?

Related Posts with Thumbnails