Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Friend's Trouble with Audiobooks

I have a friend, see, who sometimes likes to listen to audiobooks while she walks to work.  And this friend uploaded an audiobook to the MP3 player my mom--I mean, my friend's mom gave her for Christmas.  And she really didn't think she needed to read the instructions, because how hard could it be?  She's an educated, reasonably intelligent, 21st century woman.

So, anyway, this morning, when I... er, she was walking to work, the story she was listening to made absolutely no sense.  She was well into the second cd of the book, but the main character seemed to be having extremely vivid flashbacks to the first chapter.  You might think that it should have been immediately obvious that there was a problem, but in my friend's defense, the story wasn't making a whole lot of sense up to that point, anyway.  In addition, the character was "psychic" and was having flash-forwards and visions at the same time.

Long story short, it took twenty minutes for my friend to figure out that somehow the MP3 player had collated the first cd of the book along with the second cd, so that each sixty-second track from the second cd was followed by a sixty-second track from the first cd.  Twenty minutes.  Obviously, my... er, her coffee hadn't kicked in at that point.

Anyway, the moral of the story is: read the instructions.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails