Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Wednesday Dog Ears

This week's Dog Ears feature a round-up of some of the online April Fools jokes last week, as well as the changing rules of Scrabble"
  • Did anyone else get punked online for April Fool's this year?  How about at Locus Mag?  Or Smart Bitches, Trashy Books?  Or Vroman Bookstore?  The one that got me really excited was Tor.  Bastards.
  • John McWhorter of The Republic takes a look at "What Does Palinspeak Mean?"  Summation: "Palin is given to meandering phraseology of a kind suggesting someone more commenting on impressions as they enter and leave her head rather than constructing insights about them."  Um, yeah.
  • Any other Baby-Sitters Club fans here?  (Or former fans, I should say.  I haven't actually read one of them in a good fifteen years, but I still have fond memories of them.)  Read "An Open Letter to Ann M. Martin From Mallory Pike" in response to Martin's admission that she has no "strong feelings" about Mallory Pike.  It's awesome.
  • Apparently the recently-released iPad is filtering its online bookstore, which makes for some pretty ridiculous asterizations (if that's a word).  And really, in my opinion and depending on context, "dick" is much worse than "sperm."
  • In more Apple news, apparently the iPhone is easier for dyslexics to read than other forms of media.  Interesting...
  • "Not in my house!"  Will anyone else continue to ban the use of proper nouns in Scrabble, even if Mattel is officially changing its rules

3 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I'm a BSC fan, too, albeit a new one because I didn't start reading the series until this year!

So I don't know Mallory that well, but I recall enough to say that her letter absolutely rocks!

Bethany said...

Who ever really follows the actual 'rules' for Scrabble? They pretty much vary from person to person - hence the hilarity (and frustration) of Scrabble!

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

@Enbrethiliel: I scarfed the BSC books down when I was ten--I read every single one that my library had, which was about an entire shelf. My favorite, of course, was Logan Likes Mary Anne! I had the biggest crush on Logan haha

@Bethany: I'm a Scrabble traditionalist, so I definitely follow the rules as written. (Of course, my "house rules" for Monopoly pretty much annoy anyone who isn't me. I only play until the last property is sold, I TOTALLY prime the free parking pump from the bank, and I refuse to put up any hotels. Good news is, anyone who plays me is pretty much guaranteed to win because I have horrible luck as a board game businesswoman.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails