Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Reading in Real Life

So for the past two months or so, I've been struggling to read--with my new writing-intensive career, I'm finding it difficult to go home and stare at a page covered in words of more-than-three-syllables in my free time.  Same goes for blogging (obviously, with the distinct lack of posts here since May).   I've always been of the "average Americans don't read enough, by which I mean they don't read as much as me" party, but it seems average Americans are rapidly catching up.

I guess I should be more specific--I've been reading (fluffy books, for the most part), but I haven't been able to force myself to think about them.  Enter this article from Scientific American, which I think holds true for thinking, as well as talking: "Skip the Small Talk: Meaningful Conversations Linked to Happier People."  Thinking about books (and, by extension, "life, the universe, and everything") has generally been a hobby of mine, something that I haven't been practicing in recent weeks.  

I guess my point is, despite being fulfilled at work (which I never really thought would happen) I'm now brain-dead after work and am possibly becoming dumber. 

2 comments:

Cozy Book Nook (Lesa) said...

Yes-- I recognise that mushy brain dead feeling-- but you must fight it--- I miss your regular posting of interesting bookish topics. Most blogs do way too many reviews so I hope your blog stays active!

:o)

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Thank you! I never realized just how time-consuming this blog was. I used to spend around 2-3 hours A DAY working on it, which adds up when you actually have work to do. I'm re-budgeting my time, though, so we'll see how this goes. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails