Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Wednesday Dog Ears

This week's Dog Ears feature what seems like the most boring video game ever made as well as another venture in crowdfunding:
  • So when I said I thought the idea of video games based on books was cool, I didn't mean books like The Great Gatsby: "The Great Gatsby, Now a Video Game."  SPOILER ALERT: Unless I get to be the driver of the car that mows down Daisy at the end, I really don't think I'd want to play.  (via Book Ninja)
  • Find out "Which Dystopian Future is Right for You" by taking Flavorwire's quiz. I scored mostly E's, which means Cormac McCarthy's The Road is right for me. It's just me and my shopping cart.  (via The Millions)
  • Gary Shteyngart of The New York Times writes about the impact that our "techno-fugue" state has on our ability to connect to the world around us in meaninful ways in "Only Disconnect."  (He's not wrong.  I have to mute my BlackBerry and hide it in order to get anything done that requires more than two minutes' attention.)
  • If you want to read more about connectedness (is that a word?), check out Laurie Winer's review of Hamlet's BlackBerry.  Did anyone else not know that PAPER : SOCRATES :: SMARTPHONES : SCHTEYNGART?  I might actually have to check this one out...
  • Find out which literary giant you kind of but don't really write like at "I Write Like."  My results came back with Kurt Vonnegut, whom I've really been meaning to read but haven't quite gotten around to yet. (via The A.V. Club)
  • Kathleen Alcott's piece, "From Shrinking Solid to Expanding Gas: The Writing Life" at The Rumpus is absolutely beautiful.  Read it.
  • Crowdfunding is rearing its head again, this time in France and by an organization rather than a starving artist: "'Crowdfunding' for French Books."

4 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Video games based on books would definitely get my brothers reading more! I think Artemis Fowl, Alex Rider, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, and The 39 Clues would make great games--and those are just the ones I can think of right now.

As for the Dystopian Future quiz, I scored mostly Cs, which add up to a future run by Big Brother, lit up by burning books, and devoid of colour, music and love. =P

But I think I actually belong in the B world: if only because I could live with the myriad of premises in Snow Crash and prefer The Clockwork Orange (B) to Nineteen Eighty-Four (C), anyway.

And did anyone else think that the Ds were screaming "A Handmaid's Tale!!!" at you?

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Enbrethiliel-

I think that almost any fantasy novel would make a great video game. I don't know who thought THE GREAT GATSBY would also be that fun.

I also thought some of the Dystopian Future questions were incredibly obvious. I guess that comes from my slightly horrified fascination with dystopian novels. Even as I was picking the E's, I knew what the results would be. :)

Alison said...

Who exactly thought that The Great Gatsby would make a great video game? And who approved that idea? Why did no one question this?

Not all books should be video games. Not all video games should be video games!

I tried the I Write Like thing before. I'm doubtful, though. I submitted the same blogpost three times. I got Kurt Vonnegut, Margaret Mitchell, and Stephen King. Apparently, I have quite a range!

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

I think this is going to be the most boring game made since MYST (and I understand the idea behind MYST, it was just incredibly boring). And I never even thought about submitting multiple times to that "I Write Like" thing--I guess this means I don't have to read Vonnegut after all.

Related Posts with Thumbnails