Sunday, August 8, 2010

Booze and Books: A Literary Drinking Game

I meant to write about this before, but pretending to be a grown up got in the way.  Now that that's over (thank goodness), I can post and snigger about Jezebel's piece, "Drink 'Til He's Witty: The Reader's Drinking Game."  (I will point out that I made up my own literary drinking game many moons ago, but I can't actually recommend anyone read that book.)

Anyway, this has inspired me to make up a few more of my own:
Ayn Rand: Drink anytime there's rough sex.
Cormac McCarthy: Drink anytime the characters would probably be better off dead.
Frank McCourt: Drink anytime anyone coughs up blood or has a baby.
Jack Kerouac: Drink anytime anyone drinks.
J.K. Rowling: Drink anytime Harry says no one understands how he feels.
Plato: Drink anytime Socrates makes a bunch of people see that he's right and they're wrong, he's a genius and they're all idiots. 
Stephenie Meyer: Drink anytime you see the words "beautiful" or "angry."
Thomas Hardy: Drink anytime one sentence makes up an entire paragraph.
(Interested in buying the shot glasses in the picture above? Here you go.)

3 comments:

Homero said...

Is this a drinking game or a death sentence for your liver?

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I should be able to make up a Madeleine L'Engle drinking game, but I'm at a loss! =P

Oh, something just came to me . . .

Drink every time a character quotes some great writer or philosopher of the past? You'd be down flat before getting halfway through A Wrinkle in Time! LOL!

And another idea . . .

For J.R.R. Tolkien . . . Drink every time you meet a new character whose name ends in "-do" or "-wen" or "-el"! (Or is that too arbitrary?)

Oh, look! When it rains, it pours . . .

For G.K. Chesterton . . . Drink every time he waxes poetic about the sky.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Homero: If that had been my goal, I would have gone for the uber-obvious, "Drink everytime Shakespeare makes a dirty pun."

Enbrethiliel: I don't think the Tolkien one is too arbitrary at all--you're just pointing out how similar EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER'S name is. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails