Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Shameless Shilling of Product Placement in Novels (and Literary Blogs)

I may be the only person in North America and Europe who hasn't yet read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, so I wasn't previously aware of how heavily Apple product placement featured in Stieg Larsen's series--in fact, I had never heard of product placement in novels before a couple of days ago.  Seriously, what the hell is this:
"Unsurprisingly she set her sights on the best available alternative: the new Apple PowerBook G4/1.0 GHz in an aluminum case with a PowerPC 7451 processor with an AltiVec Velocity Engine, 960 MB RAM and a 60 GB hard drive. It had BlueTooth and built-in CD and DVD burners.
Best of all, it had the first 17-inch screen in the laptop world with NVIDIA graphics and a resolution of 1440 x 900 pixels, which shook the PC advocates and outranked everything else on the market.
In terms of hardware, it was the Rolls-Royce of portable computers, but what really triggered Salander’s need to have it was the simple feature that the keyboard was equipped with backlighting, so that she could see the letters even if it was pitch dark. So simple. Why had no-one thought of that before?
It was love at first sight."
Am I the only person who is completely turned off by this crap?  Yes?  Then expect more of it in the future from yours truly.  I need to make some moolah.

2 comments:

Jason Miller said...

Lol that is terrible. Whats great is that it will peg the book to the date it was written.

..or does the product placement update itself? In two years will it be rewritten to say Powerbook G5?

This is worse than selling ad space in the margins.

I can't wait to get the newest edition of As I Lay Dying just to read "My mother is fish.. stick. Trust the Gorton's fisherman."

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

Ha! Or Jane Eyre:

“'You examine me, Miss Eyre,' said he: 'do you think me handsome?'

"I should, if I had deliberated, have replied to this question by something conventionally vague and polite; but the answer somehow slipped from my tongue before I was aware: 'No, sir. You should try Gowlad's lotion, a remedy much employed by women who are troubled with eruptions in the face.'"

Related Posts with Thumbnails