Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Ye Olde Wednesday Dog Ears

For old times' sake (and by "old times," I mean like six months ago,) here are Ye Olde Dog Ears:

  • The New York Times reports that researchers at George Mason University are "Analyzing [Victorian] Literature by Words and Numbers."  What I found most interesting about the article (apart from some of the findings, of course) was that the two researchers in question are historians of science--it's yet another example of science leading to history leading to literature leading to computer programming leading to awesome!
  • I know the Romantics =/= Victorian, but there's a really cool virtual exhibition of Shelley's Ghost: Reshaping the Image of a Literary Family, an exhibition at the Bodleian Library (collaborating with the New York Public Library).  So jealous I can't go to the real exhibit, because I would be able to die happy on the spot, but the site does an excellent job tracing the relationships of Godwin, Wollstonecraft, Mary Shelley, and Percy Shelley.
  • Finally, here's part one of one of my favorite Victorian Christmas specials ever, Blackadder's Christmas Carol, in which the nicest man in all of England receives ghostly visitations that convince him that it's ultimately better to be naughty:

4 comments:

Homero said...

If you go through the *old* Nortons and others like, the Victorians are referred to as "Late Romantics," particularly the poets.

So, uh... HA!

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I think the Romantics and the Victorians were COMPLETELY different as far as themes and whatnot.

I'll agree with you, though, to make my Dog Ears more thematically correct haha

Homero said...

I thought I would post this link here, it seemed right up your alley...

http://nymag.com/arts/books/features/69474/

Very very intetsting.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

He's kind of like the Nick Denton of the publishing world...

Related Posts with Thumbnails