Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Wednesday Dog Ears

This week's Dog Ears includes some of the crap-tastic literary news that has come out recently.  (Anyone else want to move to a cave with me and hide from the internet for a while?)
  • On the bright side, Amazon now allows lending Kindle Books.  As a non-Kindle owner, I'm not sure how revoultionary this will prove to be, but I am sure there's at least one person who's going to give a crap.
  • On, the not-so-bright side, Snooki from The Jersey Shore has "written" a book, blah blah blah.
  • A new sanitized version of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn that has removed the "n-word" has been released, and the blogosphere is up in arms about it.  Having hated reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, I can't force myself to really get upset about this, but I amused by the new verb "to Huck Finn" something.
  • The upcoming film version of The Great Gatsby may be released in 3D.  Oh, sigh.

3 comments:

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

Snooki wrote a book, huh? And you needed to report that, why? =P

Incidentally, I was just helping a student read On Studies by Francis Bacon, in which we find the famous line about books that should be tasted, books that should be swallowed and books that should be chewed and digested; and I was musing that if Bacon had been alive today, he would have added a fourth classification: books that should be spit out at once!

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

The "literary" news recently has been really depressing me, since almost every blog was WALLPAPERED in Snooki news haha. And maybe we need to change the classification of "book," since I'm sure Bacon would NOT consider *A Shore Thing* palatable in any way shape or form.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

For a future Wedneday Dog Ears post, perhaps . . .

http://betterbooktitles.com/

Warning: there's a spoiler in one of the titles. Not too happy about that. =S

Related Posts with Thumbnails