Wednesday, February 16, 2011

On the Road Again (Again)

Some friends and I went on a road trip last weekend to West Texas (specifically the Marfa, Texas area) and I obviously had to find a book to give some insight on the local color.  I wasn't really interested in a listing of roadside attractions ("World's Largest Rocking Chair!" "World's Largest Ball of String!") and so I was particularly interested in Weird Texas, by Wesley Treat, Heather Shade, and Rob Riggs.

While the book made for an interesting page-flipper (as opposed to a page-turner), I have two minor complaints about it:
The book is mostly made up of local legends, and while I like reading about some farmer seeing Chupacabra as much as the next girl, I would have preferred more information on things I can actually see myself.

For those things that I could actually see myself, the book does not provide specific directions to find it, instead giving vague locales like "Such-and-Such Street in San Antonio."  Annoying.
However, the book still makes for an amusing read and would probably also make for a serviceable coffee table book, if you're into that kind of thing.

On an unrelated note, if you're ever in the Marfa, Texas area there is an amazing book store--seriously, the best book store I've ever seen in a town boasting a population just over 2000 people.  I walked into the Marfa Book Company and kind of wanted to cry it was so awesomely amazing.  Any bookstore that has copies of both Waiting for Godot and Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead on the same shelf is top of my list.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails