Monday, September 19, 2011

Either I'm an Ill-Cultured Peasant Or The Texas Book Festival Looks Incredibly Boring

I was psyched to stumble across the list of authors they'll be having at the Texas Book Festival in Austin October 22-23 this morning but was unfortunately disappointed that, of the dozens of authors who will be there shilling their wares, I knew 'round about one of them: Chuck Palahniuk, everyone's favorite freaky writer.

To be honest, book festivals are never on my top list of things to go to, because they generally feature writers desperate to sell their books rather than writers I actually want to hear from.  They also put such an emphasis on buying books rather than celebrating books, which is a huge turn-off to a girl raised on libraries.  (That's all right, though--I understand that we're witnessing the dying gasps of the publishing industry and can understand why there's such a commercial focus.  Just because I can understand it, though, doesn't mean I have to like it.)

In my opinion, book festival organizers should take their cue from Comic Con, which manages to energize people rather than putting them to sleep. As wholesome as the below video may be, I'm thinking any book festival could benefit by adding costume and video contests.  I'm just saying.

2 comments:

Critical Chris said...

Chuck is there? DO EET.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ALySsPXt0

I'll be busy entertaining company then, actually. You do eet!

Related Posts with Thumbnails