Friday, September 23, 2011

Not-So-Gentle Viewer: Mumford & Sons' "The Cave" (2010)

This song has been stuck in my head for a week, now.  There's something so beautiful about the lyrics to a well-written folk song.  (Lyrics after the jump, for those of you who haven't heard this song because you've been living in a cave.  And yes, I went there.)




The Cave

It's empty in the valley of your heart
The sun, it rises slowly as you walk
Away from all the fears
And all the faults you've left behind

The harvest left no food for you to eat
You cannibal, you meat-eater, you see
But I have seen the same
I know the shame in your defeat

     CHORUS 1:
     But I will hold on hope
     And I won't let you choke
     On the noose around your neck

     And I'll find strength in pain
     And I will change my ways
     I'll know my name as it's called again

Cause I have other things to fill my time
You take what is yours and I'll take mine
Now let me at the truth
Which will refresh my broken mind

So tie me to a post and block my ears
I can see widows and orphans through my tears
I know my call despite my faults
And despite my growing fears

     [CHORUS 1]

So come out of your cave walking on your hands
And see the world hanging upside down
You can understand dependence
When you know the maker's hand

     CHORUS 2:
     So make your siren's call
     And sing all you want
     I will not hear what you have to say

     Cause I need freedom now
     And I need to know how
     To live my life as it's meant to be

     [CHORUS 1]

2 comments:

Homero said...

All their lyrics are great. My fave of is a tie between "White Blank Page" and "Thistle and Weeds."
And they put on a great show, very good live.

Lindsay-with-an-A said...

I'm sure my neighbors are sick of me rocking out to this on my acoustic, but whatevs. The second chorus is incredibly cathartic haha.

And I'd LOVE to see them live! They're definitely on my list of "to see ASAP."

Related Posts with Thumbnails