Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wednesday Dog Ears

This week's Dog Ears feature the true power of the Poet Laureate as well as a not-so-literary quotation that could be applied to anyone who likesd to read interesting books:
  • I can't quite decide whether The Onion is mocking just poets or Americans as a whole, but either way the article "Distressed Nation Turns to Poet Laureate for Solace" cracks me up.
  • Good news for you Shel Silverstein fans: a new book of his poetry, Everything on It, has beem released 12 years after his death, and from the previews, it looks promising.
  • If you missed National Talk Like a Pirate Day, don't despair: October 7th is Talk Like A Beat Day, daddy-o.
  • The 2011 MacArthur Genius fellows were announced and, once again, I don't know one of them.  Sigh.  (Although I am happy to see a UCLA alum among them, woot woot!)
  • For those of you who, like me, were fans of Reading Rainbow, Levar Burton is back with a new app for 21st-Century learning. 
  • Finally, a not-so-literary quotation, but one that I like regardless: "I started to get sick of myself sitting on a couch, holding a joint, hiding out. It started feeling pathetic. It became very clear to me that I was intent on trying to find a [insert media here] about an interesting life, but I wasn’t living an interesting life myself."  Don't ask who said it, because that's the part of the quotation I don't like.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails